Sunday, January 16, 2011

A Promising Man (and About Time, Too) by Elizabeth Young

I really like Elizabeth Young. A few years back I read her book, Asking for Trouble. It was later turned into the movie Wedding Date. I just love the voice she gives to the characters and the situations they find themselves in.

A Promising Man is no different. Harriet, the main character, is living in a house in London with a couple of her friends. One night while Harry, as her friends affectionately call her, is out Christmas shopping she meets a man, John, who quite tickles her fancy! There seems to be a draw back though, John, is seeing an old schoolmates of Harriet's. Harry, at first, isn't about to risk her heart or create drama in her life, but after John keeps turning up so Harriet went for it. From there the story takes a fun fun roller coaster ride through who said what, and who was with whom....

I will admit, it was a little rough going in the start. But once it picked up I really started to enjoy it. Harriet had a tendency to over analyze this which made this book a riot! The supporting characters added so much of their own to the story that while it's focus was on Harriet and John I really couldn't wait to see what unfolded in the side-lines.

Be warned: after I read this book, I was talking to people like I just gotten back from a 6 month holiday in London. Claiming theses were Sod's law, and wishing I had a true bloke of my own.

1 comment: